Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Dishwasher

I managed to get the peninsula that houses the dishwasher and the kitchen sink in place on Sunday. It is quite fiddly as it needs to be anchored to the floor so it stays in place and presented a variety of wiring and plumbing challenges to boot. Our plumber, Jeff, had earlier roughed-in the 1 1/2" drain and vent pipes and ran the supply lines to the correct position, but it is our job to get it all connected up properly and to code. The vent for the drain is the most complicated in that it must be routed through 3 different cabinet bases and then make a tall loop under the sink - not really difficult but it did require a bit of planning to get it all to work. The drains are easier in that all the action is right there, under the sink. The dishwasher plumbing is quite straightforward if you have the correct pieces in place. I hooked up the clearly-marked power feed cable in the panel (thanks, James!) and voila, clean dishes! Yay!
After getting the cabinets and fascia panels in place, I made the final measurements for the counter tops and took them down to Carmen at Home Depot. We were hoping to have them back and installed before Christmas so I had to make a concession. Carol and I had chosen a rounded bull-nose edge for the laminate tops, but they would take 2-4 weeks to arrive as the shop had to custom order that profile. They could deliver the counters in a week if we would instead accept a rectangular profile that had rounded edges. With Carol away until next week, I made an executive decision and went the more expeditious route. Hopefully, I won't regret that decision later!
I found a nice Broan range hood on Craigslist and picked that up last night.
Today, it is "Seniors Day" at Rona, so it is with mixed feelings that I am off to buy a new kitchen sink and faucet - at 55 years old, I qualify for the 10% discount! The good news is that I might be able to have the counters, sink and taps ready to go by the time Carol gets home. Here's hoping...!

No comments:

Post a Comment